WELCOME! You have reached the homepage of Caroline ‘Caz’ Marris. I am a PhD student studying Elizabethan maritime history, a frequent writer of essays and fiction, and an amateur musician (violin and viola da gamba).
This site will serve as a hub for my various written pieces, creative projects, stories and topics I want to comment on, as well as occasional personal updates. Expand the bottom of this page or the home page to see excerpts from my Instagram and Twitter accounts, which you are most welcome to follow.
- A reflective essay on the experience of teaching in the Core Curriculum at Columbia University, and the meaning of ‘Western civilization’ in 2020
- A piece on impending motherhood (of twins!)
- An article summarizing recent changes in the English Channel as a result of the Brexit process/crisis
- A longform multimedia historical fiction project, LUCHTGEUZEN, co-created with my dear friend and talented artist Hannah Friederichs
- A tentative draft of a novel set among child evacuees from Europe during World War II, titled THE ALBATROSS
Stay tuned for more!